Some cool new women’s college basketball images:
Jefferson Hall & Barksdale Field Exhibit Case
Image by W&M Swem Library
Note the vintage women’s gym bloomers and a reproduction of a Jefferson Hall blueprint.
In 1920 the College of William & Mary hired an architect for the proposed new dormitory for women. Tyler Hall (the present-day Reves Center), which opened in 1916, had served as the dormitory for women since William & Mary first admitted women in 1918. The new dormitory was named Jefferson Hall and opened in September 1921. While the upper floors held apartments for female instructors and dormitory rooms for 125 students, the basement contained a gymnasium including a 45,000 gallon swimming pool. Jeffersonâs gymnasium was available to both men and women students from 1922 to 1925, the period between the conversion of the Old Gym to a classroom building and the opening of the new Blow Memorial Gymnasium. Despite strict rules about men visiting women in dormitories, men students were allowed to visit Jeffersonâs gym for social and athletic events such as dances and basketball games.
See swem.wm.edu/scrc/ExhibitsatSwem.cfm for more information about past and present exhibits produced by the Special Collections Research Center.
Image by pennstatenews
After a 25-year hiatus, a two-year recruiting process, and a one-day delay, the Penn State New Kensington women’s basketball team made its 2004-05 debut Nov. 18 against Butler County Community College at PSNK Field House. The 64-31 loss could not dampen the celebration of the return of Lady Lions basketball to the Upper Burrell campus for the first time since 1979. Students, faculty, staff, parents, and friends turned out for the first of 10 home games for the head coach Tom Saulle’steam that features eight freshmen and three sophomores. Freshman guard Erin Weber scored 11 points, tops for the Lady Lions. On hand for the historic game were the two former women’s basketball coaches, Bob Darby and Arlene Hall. Darby, instructor in kinesiology, was the first coach, 1974-76, and Hall, director of academic affairs, was at the helm for three years, 1976-79.